Saturday, October 24, 2009

Destiny: Another tale of love, loss and fates entwined (Part One)

The last time I was really just held in someone's arms was October last year. I'm not including the embraces I got when I was sobbing (Thanks, Patrick) or just normal hugs. I mean really held, just to be held. His name was Garrett, "The Kid" as we sometimes refer to him in hindsight. How we hooked up was laughable, when we broke up...less so. At least for me. But let's take the story back a month, to that fateful August 2008.

Neo had just devastated our perceptions of him, breaking Alyissa's heart and in tandem, my own, seeing her in such a tough place with little I can do. As the days went by, we went about as we usually did after a bad time, slowly getting out of the funk, but I knew this time...it really cut Alyissa deep. I'd see it fleetingly, when we'd laugh, or sit around at work, that blurry veil that seems to cast over her gaze. Then one morning, in the rare dark hours of Yellowknife in the summer, I felt the urge to stir myself awake.

"Vickie." she said in THAT voice. "Uggh...mm?" (Or something like that. I'm not going to make myself articulate for the purposes of this tale) "Vickie," she continued. "Don't go back to sleep, you have to go to work." Her words began to process slowly. "Mmmer...what? Why...?" (It was my day off, ya see) "You HAVE to go to work today," she pressed. "Because we're leaving for BC tomorrow."

To be continued...

No comments: